Nobody every thinks Fluffy is going to escape or Cugo is going to run off and not come back. You can greatly increase your chance of getting your pet back by taking a few simple steps before it ever even happens.
- Get your pet microchipped. The SPCA of Wake County has a low-cost microchip program called Chips for Change and several other organizations host microchip events throughout the year.
- Register the microchip. Once your pet is microchipped you have to register it. Register it with the company that made the chip and register it for free with the Michelson Found Animals Foundation.
- Take quality photos of your pet. These will come in handy for listing your pet on trianglelostpets.org, flyers, and if you need to reclaim your pet from Wake County Animal Center.
- Spay/Neuter your pet. Spay/Neutered pets are less likely to run off, because the call of the wild is far less appealing to them.
- Make a note of anything that makes your pet easily identifiable and unique.